DCS World F-16 Block 50 Viper Announced
What a great day so far. 90% of us working class do love Fridays. It represents the end of the work week and for most the start of the weekend. Today we have received even more enjoyment on this lovely Friday. My friends, today Digital Combat Simulator has officially announced the F-16 Block 50 Viper and this has me truly gitty. Do you remember how everyone was so excited about the F-18 Hornet? Or even how some have just as much excitement or maybe even more excitement for the upcoming F-14 Tomcat (due for release in a couple weeks)? Well – that is how excited I feel about the F-16 Block 50 Viper coming to DCS World.
DCS World F-16 Block 50 Viper
The F-16 Block 50 was chosen because it is the most versatile version of the F-16 per Digital Combat Simulator. Course air-to-air combat, anti-ship, close air support (CAS), precision ground attacks and SEAD capabilities provide understanding to this claim. The first Block 50/52 F-16 was delivered in late 1991. The aircraft are equipped with improved GPS/INS, and the aircraft can carry a further batch of advanced missiles: the AGM-88 HARM missile, JDAM, JSOW and WCMD. Block 50 aircraft are powered by the F110-GE-129 while the Block 52 jets use the F100-PW-229.
Official Release Date Unknown
Although an official release date of the product has not yet been announced – we do know how things have been tentatively planned out. They plan to release this module in two phases. Phase 1 Early Access release and then Phase 2 Product Sustainment.
Phase 1 Early Access Release:
- Color Multifunction Display (CMFD) symbology, Horizontal Situation Display (HSD) format, and Head-up Display (HUD) symbology
- Digitally TACAN and Electronic Horizontal Situation Indicator (EHSI)
- BDU-33, BDU-50LD/HD, Mk-82LDGP, Mk-82AIR, Mk-84LDGP, BLU-109/B, CBU-87 CEM, and CBU-97 SFW unguided bombs
- 2.75” rockets LAU-68 and LAU-131
- Joint Helmet Mounted Cueing System (JHMCS)
- AIM-9L/M/P/X Sidewinder
- AIM-120B/C AMRAAM
- M61A1 20mm cannon
Phase 2 Product Sustainment:
- Multifunctional Information Distribution System (MIDS)
- Link 16 Data Link
- AGM-65D/G/H/K Maverick
- AGM-88C HARM
- AN/ASQ-213 HARM Targeting System (HTS)
- Sniper XR Advanced Targeting Pod
- GBU-10, GBU-12, GBU-24A/B laser-guided bombs
- BRU-57/A Smart Rack
- CBU-103 CEM and CBU-105 SFW Inertially Aided Munitions (IAM)
- GBU-31/A, GBU-32, and GBU-38/B JDAM
- AGM-154/A and /B JSOW
- AGM-158/A JASSM
- Integration of the JHMCS with the HARM Targeting System (HTS), Link 16, and AIFF
- ALE-50 towed decoy
I remember back as a kid in the 80’s watching one of my favorite movies Iron Eagle. Ever since then I always wished to become an F-16 pilot. But the fact of the matter is – I never actually got over the whole fear of flying thing when I was younger. By the time I did, I was way past my “join the military” days. Now DCS World has provided me with an opportunity to fulfill this lifelong dream of mine. I finally get my chance at becoming an F-16 pilot. Yep – that is what I said. You all know I fly in VR and I’ll be damn If I let anyone steal this joy away from me. I’m going to be a freaking F-16 pilot.
As I stated before Fridays are one of my favorite days of the week and today DCS World made my day that much better. I’m super excited about the DCS World F-16 Block 50 Viper and I can already state it will become my main module when released. I do love my UH-1 Huey – but the F-16 goes back to my childhood. Now it is personal. Check out DCS Worlds